Saturday 13 April 2013

6 days post op!

So where am i know?

Well it's been almost a week since i had the surgery to reconstruct my knew PCL.

The surgery went well , although it did go for four hours instead of the estimated one hour.
They used a graft from my hamstring to replace my PCL. I stayed in hospital over night.

My anaesthetist said i would wake up after surgery in quite a lot of pain, so he would put a nerve block in my legs which would lessen my knee pain however i would still feel pain in my hamstrings.
Well if i can give any advice to anyone having a reconstruction weather it be PCL or ACL it would be to get the nerve block if available, because i woke up in very little pain at all with just a slight tingling in my hamstrings, nothing a little pain medication couldn't fix though.

I had a PT come visit me before i went home to train me how to use crutches and how to tackle stairs.

The biggest difference I've seen from the blogs on PCL's to mine is that most of the people seemed to be completely none weight bearing, wheres as I'm basically just using crutches to lessen the weight. I use them and I'm wearing a big clunky brace that has to stay on to stop me bending my knee except for a brief shower, i can tell already its gonna get a fair old stench to it, as i do seem to sweat into it allot.  My surgeon has given me 3 weeks rest before i go back to check my wounds and to start my rehab.

I'm in surprisingly little pain, with it generally being restricted to my hamstrings and my calves, I'm not really sure what causes that. However if i do too much like i have walked around without crutches a few times (naughty), my knee swells up and i have to put my leg up and apply a fair bit of ice to ease the swelling.

I do find somethings difficult getting changed being one, trying to get shorts, jocks and pants over the brace is quite difficult especially when you can't bend your leg also being 6ft2 my legs are rather long and trying to get  in and out of a car (ohh thats another thing i can't drive at the moment so i
m back depending on Mums taxi service) with out bending then is near on impossible, so i have to sit with my leg stretched out on the back seat.

That's all i can think to right for now but i will endeavour to keep this updated as my rehab progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment