Saturday 13 April 2013

What now!

The surgeon says your an unusual case, we see very few people with PCL injury's and even fewer with a tear and nothing else that's injured.

He explained how in years gone by they where largely left untreated with surgery being more difficult and less succefull then the more common ACL reconstruction. PT was favoured to build up muscles around the area and to somewhat compensate for role the PCL plays. He also said if i was over 40 or inactive this is the treatment path he would favour.

However he also said methods of reconstruction had improved and with the PCL being the strongest and hardest to tear ligament in the knee, it's role is just as important as an ACL. He also said surgery techniques had advanced so the success rates arnt much lower then ACL's

I'm a pretty active person, i play football, like to run and jog, swim, and also being from a farming background this also keeps me pretty active. So the surgeon said with this in mind the likelihood is that the knee would deteriorate and eventually i may need surgery in the future so i would be better off doing it now while i can afford to be of my legs for a bit.

 So i booked in for surgery a further three months down the track to give my self a 3 week break from uni. My surgeon said i may need 4 but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. He then set me up with a physio and i have been doing exercises and weights on my legs to build up strengthen to help with my recovery after surgery.



No comments:

Post a Comment